Twelve thousand newly-hatched chicks were killed yesterday by a fire on the chicken farm Oddsmýri in Hvalfjörður fjord, West Iceland, mbl.is reports. Farmer Björn Fálki Valsson said most were dead due to smoke inhalation or fire by the time he reached the building.
The fire occurred at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon. It is believed to have been caused by a heating fan. “When I looked inside there was a lot of smoke and fire in some places,” said Björn. Firefighters from Akranes, West Iceland, arrived quickly at the scene and were able to put out the flames quickly.
Björn was admitted to hospital due to possible smoke inhalation. He says damage to the building is minimal and nothing compared to the animals.
“When animals burn inside or suffocate due to smoke it’s not good. It’s just unfortunate. That’s what it is. It was sad to see,” said Björn.